Re: Strange Segment called 6.2 in TEMP

From: Alex Filonov <afilonov_at_pro-ns.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 04:03:25 GMT

Bernie wrote:

> I have been watching our 7.3 Oracle database and for the last few days, the
> TEMP tablespace has been consumed by a large temporary segment named 6.2.
>
> Does anyone know what this is and if it really should be there? I would have
> thought a temporary segment would be temporary rather than hanging around for
> over 2 days?
>
> The out put of
> SELECT SEGMENT_NAME,OWNER,BYTEs, SEGMENT_TYPE FROM DBA_SEGMENTS WHERE
> TABLESPACE_NAME='TEMP'
> /
>
> is
> SEGMENT_NAME OWNER BYTES SEGMENT_TYPE
> 6.2 SYS 497827840 TEMPORARY
>
> Bernie

It's OK. You segment has TEMPORARY type, so it uses special type of allocation for temp tables. That (6.2) temporary segment actually contains all your temp tables. Even when you don't have any temporary tables, this segment is visible. For more on this feature, read documentation. Received on Tue Jun 05 2001 - 23:03:25 CDT