Re: Extent sizes in LMT

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 22:14:30 -0700

<comments interspersed below>

Chuck Hamilton wrote:

> In a locally managed tablespace with uniformly sized extents, is there any
> way to specify a next extent size for objects in the tablesapce?

Yes. But it will be ignored.

> Why would I want to do this?

Exactly what I was thinking.

> I have a nightly script that reports on objects
> that will fail to allocate their next extent. I want the extents to be large
> enough so that I get a week of advance warning before failure occurs.

If you are running this close to disaster you should join a bomb squad. I would never allow a tablespace to be more than 75% full. They get anywhere close to that and I start adding another datafile. You are begging for a crash (or do you never get sick and never go on vacation?)

> One
> table's growth rate was severly underestimated and now I'm stuck with 10m
> extents on a 10g table that's growing at 11m per day. The table is receiving
> inserts 24x7 and needs to be available continuously. Any suggestions would
> be appreciated.

Create another tablespace with 1GB extents and move the table.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Tue Jun 05 2001 - 00:14:30 CDT