Re: Traversing large record set

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 22:18:43 -0700

Paul Dalberth wrote:

> We're building a database to serve a web site that may have to
> accommodate a large number of concurrent users (up to 1000). Each
> user needs to traverse the results of a select statement that could
> return up to a million rows.
>
> What is the most efficient way to do this? If cursors are the answer,
> is there a way to move backward through a result set using a cursor
> (e.g., "fetch prior").
>
> We're running Oracle 8.1.7 under Solaris and Linux.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Paul Dalberth

There is no way to reverse travel on a cursor. But I am bothered by your statement that up to 1000 people could simultaneously create queries returning up to a million rows. A million rows of data is absolutely worthless. Sort of like a green bar report that is 4 feet thick. If you can not construct queries that return summaries of the rows or limit the number of rows to something scrollable I suspect you are presiding over the creation of a nightmare.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Tue Jun 05 2001 - 00:18:43 CDT