Re: Raw device

From: Spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 23:35:08 -0500

any requirements for "skipping" header or trailer blocks on "raw" partitions are specific to the PLATFORM and the Oracle version.

for Oracle 8.0.6 on HP-UX 11.0 using "raw" partitions created with the Logical Volume Manager, there is no need to skip any header or trailer blocks with a backup or restore using the dd command.

if your platform does require blocks to be "skipped", account for this both when copying the datafile from a raw partition (backing up) and when copying the datafile to a raw partition (restoring).