Re: Standby issue

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 00:11:47 +0200

<u518615722_at_spawnkill.ip-mobilphone.net> wrote in message news:l.991685581.1832916259@[198.138.198.252]...
> We have a managed standby database. Oracle
> will copy the redolog from production site,
> that works fine. But we are using manual
> mode for recovery. Every 15 min, shell script
> will issue
> Alter database recover standby database automatic;
>
> it works fine most of the time, but once or twice a
> day, we will get the following error messages:
>
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-00283: recovery session canceled due to errors
> ORA-00368: checksum error in redo log block
> ORA-00353: log corruption near block 6657 change 2373668345 time
 06/04/2001
> 06:40:43
> ORA-00334: archived log: '/archive/oradata/traf1/traf1_69996.log'
> but the problem is, when we found this error, it is 30 minutes later, and
> standby database continue to recover, the following error message is
> alter database recover automatic standby database
> *
>
> it just triggers our alarms, does not seem to prevent oracle
> to continue to recover as new redologs are coming in.
> But we are very concerned that this standby database
> is useful or not at emergency.
>
> I just switched to sustained recovery mode, hope that will
> help. 4 hour passed, we have not heard any alarm yet.
>
> Do you guys have the similar problem?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Sent by dbadba62 from hotmail piece of com
> This is a spam protected message. Please answer with reference header.

You are sure you have a correctly configured *Oracle* managed standby database? Because in a correct configuration you don't need to do *anything at all* and definitely not issue an alter database statement. You did use log_archive_dest_1 .. log_archive_dest_n as archive destinations?
You are aware of the scripts in the standby database administrators manual to discover and address any gap?

If you invented your own standby mechanism -by manually copying redolog files to the standby database, and it very much looks like you did- I can't help you. I would recommend using the standby database feature provided by Oracle: it works and it is rock stable.

If you did use the standby database feature, which involves configuring log_archive_dest_1 etc and sending over your redologfiles by means of sqlnet, please try to describe your configuration as precise as possible.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Mon Jun 04 2001 - 17:11:47 CDT