Re: how do I copy a control file ?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 22:17:56 +1000

> > Hi
> > I'm an NT admin and know nothing about Oracle. Our dba is currently
> > overseas and hard to reach. This guy says he wants to copy a database
 in
> > Australia to Houston....so with an Oracle book I manage to setup a
 server
> > (Oracle 8 on NT) and get an instance up and running. I imported
 tablespace,
> > etc etc...made a submit.bat to automatically replicate the databases
 every
> > morning, evening. Now person wants two database instances running on
 this
> > machine...one for production one for testing. So, I created another
> > instance. I copied all the datafiles from production instance to test
> > instance. I also modified the init*.ora files properly. Now I'm unable
> > startup the test instance because I've messed up the controlfile (it
 can't
> > start it). I did the "alter database backup controlfile to trace;"...
 This
> > page on the web tells me that the trace file is located in the 'udump'
> > directory

I get this time after time after time on every course I run. No, such trace files are NOT in a 'udump' directory, they are in whatever directory is specified by the USER_DUMP_DEST parameter in your init.ora. Do a 'show parameter dump_dest' to find out where that is actually set to. God knows why there is this confusion. Yes, there is a default, and yes the default involves a directory called 'udump', but then there is also a default Shared_pool_size, and the fact that your shared pool is not the default size rarely seems to throw anybody.

Find your init dot ora, and sort it. You ought to know where user trace files and background trace files are being written to. You are allegedly in control of these things, you know.

Regards
HJR