Re: Dealing with "orphaned" sessions

From: Ed Stevens <Ed_Stevens_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 14:25:20 GMT

On Sun, 03 Jun 2001 18:45:26 GMT, Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com> wrote:

>Ed Stevens wrote:
>>
>> Subject: Dealing with "orphaned" sessions
>>
>> Platform: Oracle 8.0.5, Std. Ed.; Windows NT 4.0, sp6
>>

>Ed,
>
>Have you checked for SNPn processes running?
>Both DBA_JOBS and Oracle Agent processs could keep a SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
>from closing the database.
>
>Provided that you haven't left any tablespaces in backup mode, the
>SHUTDOWN ABORT/STARTUP RESTRICT/SHUTDOWN NORMAL should work - but you
>may be better off to startup mount, alter system set
>job_queue_processes=0, alter database open and then shutdown. (or open
>with a pfile that has job_queue_processes=0)
>
>this may not be your problem - but could be.
>
>Paul

The Oracle Agent service is set for manual startup. Also, I already have a NET STOP against that service just prior to stopping the databases. The log indicates that it (the Agent service) was not running at the time I issued the NET STOP.

To my knowledge we are not running any Oracle jobs, but I'll add a check for that (SELECT * FROM DBA_JOBS) to my shutdown script for confirmation.

What would I need to look at to check for SNPn processes?

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)