Linux and Oracle 8i StarterKit-slowly getting there!

From: Jerold Von Hemel <jerold_at_vonhemel.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 22:38:58 -0600

I was successful in getting it installed to Mandrake 8.0 , with a few exceptions. I had to hunt for sqlplus and it gives me an error when run. Research showed my error to be related to environment settings, ie ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID

I had to update both the gcc libraries and the glibc. Glibc was updated to 2.2.3, as 2.2.2-5 was not listed in the updates.

I am following the book verbatim, ie names of groups and the bash environment settings.

When I run one of the root scripts during the install, I get a messages saying that the ORACLE_SID environment is not set, but the install continues.

The book has ORACLE_SID as oralin. What and where is oralin supposed to be.?

I think that this is the start of my problem, the environment settings in ~/.bash_profile

I am using the following line to edit the profile

emacs ~/.bash_profile

There is if fi code, so I placed the commands stated in the book at the bottom of the file.

Is this ok?

When I installed linux, I did create a /oracle mount point, however, using the books shell lines, I did not use this directory for my files. I was thinking of making /oracle the home directory, not /usr/oracle.

So my needs now is to have a proper install of the environment and directories, so the install will correlate them. Maybe then I can get the glibc stubs tarball installed to the right place.

Getting tired now. Need sleep. Will tackle it again later

Any help with this stage of the install will help!

Jerold