Re: What is included in Oracle 8.1.7 Enterprise edition?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 19:47:11 +1000

"Spencer" <spencerp_at_swbell.net> wrote in message news:c2_R6.488$yt.8721_at_nnrp1.sbc.net...
> howard, you have me in stitches. i almost fell out of my chair and
> my eyes are watering i'm laughing so hard... don't get me started.

My God, Spencer... what the hell happens *after* you get started?! Your head doesn't drop off, does it? I'm taking no responsibility....

> "oracle enterprise manager" comes with standard edition, too. it's
> the extra cost options that are only available with enterprise edition,
> (the diagnostics, tuning, change management packs.)
>
> the java GUI screens are VERY nice looking, fancy color buttons,
> cool colors, attractive fonts, and very stable.

Yup, I particularly revel in the HUGE productivity gains made possible by the top right quadrant of the Console window -you know, the one where you can stick a map of Europe as a background, and then drag your databases onto the map... and you drop them carefully on London, and they end up positioned somewhere over Hamburg.

Reminds me of the Blitz.

Take care,
HJR
> my all around favorite non-oracle oracle tool has a logo that looks
> somewhat like a frog. i've tinkered with a design for a new icon for
> the java GUI enterprise manager, but i'm having trouble getting the
> look just right. i'm trying for a VERY nice looking one-legged turtle.
>

> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message
> > Be clear that Enterprise Manager is a GUI tool to manage 8.1.7 server.
> > There is no 'need' to install it, since everything you can do via the
 GUI
 is
> > capable of being done via a command line interface such as SQL*Plus
 (which
> > you get whether you install the GUI stuff or not).
> >
> > The GUI tools of which you speak (and yes, Instance and Schema manager
 are
> > part of Oracle Enterprise Manager) run as Java apps. They are thus
 platform
> > independent, and run like cold treacle on an extremely chilly day. They
> > also spontaneously decide to do things which you or I might think
 somewhat
> > inadvisable, without user intervention. Apart from that, they are
 lovely
> > tools, enabling one-click management of any Oracle database.
 Hahahahahahah.