Re: Changing the status of temporary tablespace to permanent

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 21:50:11 +1000

Short sharp answer: nothing will happen. Queries that rely on sort runs being swapped out to temporary tablespace will take longer (because extent allocation and de-allocation has to take place in permanent tablespace. In temporary tablespace, extents are simply re-used by new queries once old queries have finished). The quantity of redo generated will go up (and hence provide further reasons for performance degradation). You may get idiot junior DBAs creating real tables or indexes (or other 'permanent objects') in the tablespace, chewing up space.

But other than that, the database will not blow up, and the sky won't fall in. That said, it's not something you want to be doing just for the hell of it.

Regards
HJR

--
The views expressed are my own only, and definitely NOT those of Oracle