Re: Cannot log in after installation [ORA-12638] help!!

From: Rick Wessman <Rick.Wessman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 02 Jun 2001 07:19:20 -0700

Hi:

First of all, the problems are not related.

"Richard Ozenbaugh" <rim_at_extremezone.com> writes:

> OK.. I have installed oracle 8.1.6 on my Win2K server. When I try to
> connect to my
> instance with the login and password supplied by the install process I get:
>
> ORA-12638: Credential retrieval failed
>
> I looked this up on OTN and the explaination listed wasn't very helpful.
Yeah, I know. Unfortunately, it was not possible for me to write a more specific error message due to there being a lot of reasons for the error.

Anyway, it sounds like Oracle is trying to authenticate you using Windows authentication and it is failing. To get around this, go into sqlnet.ora and change:

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(<current value>)

to:

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(BEQ, NONE) That will tell Oracle to use your password for authentication.

> I have also noticed that I am getting one of these for each redo file:
>
> ORA-00313: open failed for members of log group 1 of thread 1
> ORA-00312: online log 1 thread 1: 'F:\ORACLE\ORADATA\TEST\REDO03.LOG'
> ORA-27041: unable to open file
> OSD-04002: unable to open file
> O/S-Error: (OS 2) The system cannot find the file specified.
>
> These errors state that I need to establish more file handles?
>
> I don't know if these are related but I am dead in the water with no oars..
>
> Any advice would be appreciated
>
> R. Oz.

I don't know why you are getting this error. It may be because the installation failed.

--
                                Rick
                                Rick Wessman

     The opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily reflect
                         those of Oracle Corporation.