Re: need 1 record asynchrnous inserts - DBMS_PIPE? DBMS_AQ? something else?

From: Mark J. Bobak <mark.NOSPAM_at_bobak.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 19:25:56 GMT

Comments in-line.I
n article <skiihtcr0348tgenpa80r83k60hopc777g_at_4ax.com>, "Doug C" <dcowles_at_i84.net> wrote:

> Oracle 8.1.7 has layed down the law with autonomous transactions, and
> the 4 we are using no longer work. All they do is insert a little
> record into a log table regardless of whether the calling package is
> commited or rolled back. Autonomous transactions are not supported, and
> according to Oracle they might not be available in Oracle 9 either.
> This is in the release notes for 8.1.5, but hey, developers don't always
> listen. (and then they leave)...

Excuse me? Are you saying 8.1.7 does NOT support autonomous transactions?? According to the 8.1.7 application developers guide, they ARE supported. Whatever gave you the idea they weren't?

...stuff deleted....
> So.. I thought about DBMS_PIPE.. Surfed the ususal spots, and it looks
> like it's more common to have some sort of daemon running in pro*c or a
> shell script..

This is how we currently do it. We write to DBMS_PIPE, and we have a Pro*C daemon that pciks up what's on the pipe and writes it to the table.
> There are four situations where the following code *used* to work on
> 8.1.5
>
> procedure write_log is
> pragma autonomous_transaction;
> being
> insert into ofs_intf_log values
> ('DMCTEST','D',0,SYSDATE,SYSDATE,0,0,0,0,1,'F','B',3); commit;
> exception
> when others dbms_output.put_line ('Others error in write_log'); end
> write_log..
>
> In other words, pretty simple insert statements, but of slightly varying
> width, also all on the same table. Sometimes they will contain
> variables so a string would require the || concat operator and so
> forth...

I see no reason they shouldn't work now. Nor am I aware of any reason autonomous transactions should disappear in 9i.

...stuff deleted......

> I'll keep reading.. but I thought someone may have been there before...

You should try reading the application developers guide. Try:
http://technet.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/appdev.817/a76939/adg08sql.htm#8266

Hope this helps,

-Mark Received on Sat Jun 02 2001 - 14:25:56 CDT