Re: ORA-3113

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 20:00:53 -0400

A copy of this was sent to "Pootie" <pootie_at_england.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sat, 2 Jun 2001 13:41:52 -0500, you wrote:

>There is another Linux box acting as a firewall. I will have to ask about
>this.
>
>The timer solution is probably where I'll go. In all the years I have
>worked with Oracle tools, I have always had to "trick" things into working,
>i.e. "dual".

not to be sounding defensive here or anything, but this has NOTHING to do with the tool. open a telnet session, let it sit for 20 minutes -- same effect will happen. Your network admins have installed some security for you. using the timer is a method to subvert their work.

I used to run a "ping" command in the background when I used an ISP that would shut you down after 5 minutes of inactivity -- same exact concept.

don't understand the reference to "dual" as a trick? any examples of what you felt was a "trick" with dual?

 http://asktom.oracle.com/~tkyte/