Re: ORA-3113

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 18:40:17 -0400

A copy of this was sent to "Richard W. Howell" <rwh_at_iquest.net> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Fri, 1 Jun 2001 13:22:35 -0500, you wrote:

>Running v8.1.6 on Linux using Net8 TCP/IP, Forms 4.5 on Windows 98 clients.
>
>Everything is fine until a period (usually about 15 minutes) of inactivity.
>Oracle disconnects from my form and I get ORA-3113/3114. What must I do to
>keep the session connected, even though there may be long periods of
>inactivity?
>
>A similar (but older) setup on Netware would last indefinitely without
>disconnection.

you running a firewall or some other software that times out network connections after a period of inactivity?

Its a security feature that is pretty typical these days.

If so, setting up dead client detection might allow you to subvert this security feature. With DCD -- the server process will "ping" the client and expects the client to respond. That will generate some network activity.

Another method would be to put a timer into the form and every 10 minutes see what time it is on the server.

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com) Oracle Service Industries
Howtos and such: http://asktom.oracle.com/ http://asktom.oracle.com/~tkyte/