Re: Changing the status of temporary tablespace to permanent

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 21:16:45 +0800

andrew_webby at hotmail wrote:

> In my experience, it will also have the effect of dropping the existing
> temporary segments first (ie, in effect, flushing the SYS-owned temporary
> segments). This is a (probably inadvisable) way to clear out the tablespace,
> switch it to permanent and then straight back to temporary.
>
> "Daniel A. Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message
> > Dark Lord wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > Quick basic question, if such a thing exists :) Suppose I change the
> > > status of my temporary tablespace ( temp) to permanent. What are the
 likely
> > > results of my action ? Thanks
> > >
> > > --
> > > Silent Running
> >
> > It will fill up with "temp" tables and crash.
> >
> > Daniel A. Morgan

Similarly 'alter tablespace temp default storage ( pctincrease x)' where 'x' is what it already was (0 presumably), you get the same effect.

hth
connor

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"