Re: ORA-12545 Error...

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 08:32:27 +0200

12154 means 'Can't find the service name in tnsnames.ora' 12514 means 'The service name in the connect descriptor doesn't match the service name on the server' This is the service_name parameter defined in init.ora (as you are using 8i syntax in listener.ora, you don't define it there, which is recommended).
Verify the service_name from init.ora against the service_name in the connect descriptor (so connect_data = (service_name=.....)) They don't match.
Also make sure to verify sqlnet.ora on both sides especially names.default_domain and names.default_zone Usually the host name should be the *real* host name of the system, your 'experiments' with aliasing it might betray you have a shitty network config.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA