EBU - need to recover to a different node

From: David Van Zandt <dvanzandt_at_iquest.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 22:11:09 -0500

Oh, the woes of having a 7.x production instance; the nice folks at TARland are claiming I should get a life -- or a current version.

Using EBU 2.2.0.9, RDBMS 7.3.4.5, on a HP-UX 9000. All databases are happily backed up, cataloged into a different, dedicated database; separate operation for my prod node, and for my development node. I can restore to the same node just fine.

Now, to test that mythical, mysterious thing known as a business continuity plan, I decided to find out what's really involved in restoring my production instances to an alternate host. I have read through the EBU admin manual, studied all four Metalink messages on the subject, and remain stumped. My restore parameter script (executed on my dev box) includes the prod db_name, and the prod host for the backup_host. Basically the job abends, crying that the selected values cannot be found in the (dev) catalog. Well, of course not, it's coming from a different source!

I tried to register the prod SID with the dev catalog, but oh no, it wants the SID to be open locally first. Catch-22? I am considering what might happen if I clone the prod catalog onto the dev host, but it seems kludgey. I know I can bypass the catalog for a backup pass, but the specs fail to document doing so for a catalog-less restore.

Bottom line: I am simulating a scenario in which I lose my computer room and need to restore to a warm backup site. If anyone's ever done this, then what am I overlooking? TIA. Received on Fri Jun 01 2001 - 22:11:09 CDT