Re: What is included in Oracle 8.1.7 Enterprise edition?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 23:18:34 +1000

Be clear that Enterprise Manager is a GUI tool to manage 8.1.7 server. There is no 'need' to install it, since everything you can do via the GUI is capable of being done via a command line interface such as SQL*Plus (which you get whether you install the GUI stuff or not).

The GUI tools of which you speak (and yes, Instance and Schema manager are part of Oracle Enterprise Manager) run as Java apps. They are thus platform independent, and run like cold treacle on an extremely chilly day. They also spontaneously decide to do things which you or I might think somewhat inadvisable, without user intervention. Apart from that, they are lovely tools, enabling one-click management of any Oracle database. Hahahahahahah.

Sorry. Got carried away. Cut to the chase: there is no "need" to install them. They do have their place. In my humble opinion, their place is under the table leg of my extremely wonky office desk, but your mileage might vary.

Regards
HJR

--
The views expressed are my own only, and definitely NOT those of Oracle