Re: ORA-12545 Error...

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 11:41:08 +0200

On Thu, 31 May 2001 16:21:45 +0800, Diviner <diviner_at_hknet.com> wrote:

>I am using Oracle8i 8.1.7 for NT and running on Windows 2000 Server,
>NT4 Workstation for client machine and has a connection problem.
>Hope someone can help me.
>
>The main problem is this error:
> "ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not
>exist"
>when I try to connect Oracle Server from client machine.
>
>Let me state my situation point by point:
>- Oracle server is started up and work normally.
>- Oracle client on the same machine(server machine) work well by
>sqlplus.
> e.g.: sqlplus scott/tiger_at_prj1 (follow by successful connection)
>- Oracle client on the other machine(client machine) can tnsping on both
>
> alias and service_name successfully.
>- ORA-12545 error occur when I use sqlplus to connect Oracle server from
>
> client machine.
>
>Thank you very much.

tnsping *only* guarantees there is a listener running on the host you're trying to connect to.
There must be a mismatch between tnsnames.ora (on the client) and listener.ora on the server.
It works on the server because you have ORACLE_SID set, and use IPC automatically.

Check the tnsnames.ora on the client.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Thu May 31 2001 - 04:41:08 CDT