Re: Archive Logs Filling Drive Up

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 19:23:14 +1000

"Chris Forbis" <chrisforbis_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:f2dc430d.0105301657.4dd8c63a_at_posting.google.com...
> I have Archive Logging on on a 8.1.7 database. I have many users on
> this. Each user has tables in USERS tablespace. All is good.
> Archive logs are kept for backup recovery. All seems work work well.
>
> I added a new TableSpace (NAME=NOLOGSPACE) When I created this
> TABLESPACE I added the NO LOGGING option. When I look at it in
> DBAStudio or any table in it it says LOGGING is off. This tablespace
> is a Locally Managed TableSpace. Also in DBA Studio it says next to
> the No Logging that this will keep inserts/updates/and deletes from
> beging logged.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHH!

Excuse my expostulation. It's just that this one does the rounds with monotonous regularity, and (which is worse) has just *done* the rounds with said regularity on this very newsgroup in the last couple of days.

NOLOGGING does *not* switch off logging for normal DML (ie, inserts, updates and deletes). Never has, and (judging by 9i) never will. It switches off logging for a very specific (and small) class of statements -such as direct load inserts, direct path SQL loads, creating indexes and so forth. Normal DML will always be logged, whatever the logging status of the tablespace or segments contained therein.

> The problem: I went from 2 meg a day of Archive Logs :) Not much
> besides selects being done. To the now 1.2 gig a day. (I don't have
> the space for this) I need the User TABLESPACE and system to be
> logged, but the NOLOGSPACE is also being logged. It gets 100,000's of
> inserts a day, and also just as many deletes The whole TableSpace is
> only 75meg. Any idea how to fix this issue?

Yup. Forget it. There is no fix, short of switching off all redo generation for the entire database.

Regards
HJR