Re: Q: Oracle8i Installation Problem (yet again!)

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 20:32:54 +1000

"Daniel A. Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3B15D5FE.8931E76C_at_exesolutions.com...
> poseidon wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I know many people have reported Oracle8.1.7 installation problems. I
> > checked deja.com but I believe they did not apply to my case.
> >
> > I'm trying to install Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows 2000 Server SP2. When I
> > started setup, chose Enterprise Server setup and chose typical
> > configuration, setup was doing something and in a couple of minutes
 setup
> > quit quietly. No error messages at all. Setup made something in the
> > installation directory and registry.
> >
> > No, I'm not using P4. Yes, I have plenty of memory (physical and
 virtual),
> > registry space and disk space.
> >
> > I have successfully installed Oracle8.1.7 on several other Windows 2000
> > Servers. Only the differences I can tell is that the computer having
 problem
> > has two processors.
> >
> > I appreciate any clue or thought.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > poseidon
>
> My first thought would be that anyone that installs anything on a new
 Microsoft
> release without letting others get cut on the bleeding edge gets what they
> deserve. I wouldn't touch any Microsoft product or release until it has
 either
> been out for six months or been patched three times.

Speaks volumes. Not that you are biased, of course. Shame it sounds like the same ol' gramaphone record, time after time.

> That said I'd contact Oracle through metalink. Likely it is just another
 example
> of Microsoft intentionally breaking a competitor's product.

Yup. Definitely. (Incidentally, I've heard that Cipramil, Luvox or Zoloft are excellent remedies for paranoia and delusions).

For the record, 8.1.7 is working just fine here under SP2.

The killer is the original poster's dual processors. I might suggest uninstalling SP2 and seeing whether the installation then works (trusting, natch, that he installed SP2 with the 'uninstall' option checked. And once installed, then re-installing SP2.

But the nub of the issue is that W2K is known to be sensitive to dual processors that aren't out of the same production batch (at the very least, the model and stepping need to be identical). Ordinarily, I guess you might get away with it, but Oracle is likely to stress things to the breaking point.

The other thing I'd suggest is NOT choosing typical installation, but doing a custom one.

It's all a bit vague, and these things can be tricky to pin down. But the old 'Microsoft is Crap' mantra ain't exactly going to help.

Regards
HJR