Re: Upgrading/Migrating 8.0.5 to 8.1.6

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 22:32:28 -0700

Ed Stevens wrote:

> Subject: Upgrading/Migrating 8.0.5 to 8.1.6
>
> Platform: NT 4, sp6
>
> We are currently running all of our db's at 8.0.5 Std. Edition. Our
> standard setup for all of our apps and db's is to have a "unit
> test/development" database on a "unit test" server, a "system test/QA"
> database on a "system test" server, and the production database on one
> of several production servers. Within the next couple of weeks we
> will be starting a new application development project requiring a new
> database. We would like to bring that database up as an 8.1.6
> database and after that project goes to production begin migrating all
> of our 8.0.5 databases to 8.1.6 -- just in time to start looking at
> 9i, right? ;-)
>
> Our question is, what is the best way to do this? We will almost
> certainly have to install 8.1.6 on the same servers as we are
> currently running 8.0.5. I know this will work, but don't have a good
> grasp on the details, and have two basic questions:
>
> Question #1: With a multiple-home server, how do you insure which
> version a database is created/runs under?
>
> Question #2: How do you migrate an existing 8.0 db to 8.1 on the same
> server?
>
> --
> Ed Stevens
> (Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)

You most certainly will be total fools if you install 8.1.6.

First because it is being desupported by Oracle in just a few months (October).

Second because it is very buggy and will drive you crazy.

Third because the current version, 8.1.7.1.0, is much more stable and will still be supported during the life of your installation. Then you can start looking at 9i.

That said I'll let someone else tackle your questions as I have to get off-line now and pretend I have a life. <g>

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Thu May 31 2001 - 00:32:28 CDT