Re: Performance penalty when turn on timed_statistics

From: Giorgos Tsiamitas <gtsiam_at_gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 11:05:15 GMT

TFM (Oracle Reference) warns "Normally, TIMED_STATISTICS should be FALSE"

They say so because timed statistics mainly serves the database tuning process - and normally you dont tune so often, so it's better to turn timed statistics off to avoid possible overhead.

On the other hand you need timed statistics when you monitor the database thru dynamic performance views, so in this case times statistics should be always on.

The performance impact of timed statistics depends on the hardware, platform and database activity. The best thing is to enable it (so you have this info available always and dont bother with ALTER SYSTEM or ALTER SESSION). If you experience constant performance degradation then turn it off (turn it on only when it's absolutely necessary, e.g. when you tune).

Regards,
Giorgos