Re: Raw devices transferrable from NT to Unix?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 30 May 2001 10:43:52 -0700

In article <9f3b36073b_at_enews1.newsguy.com>, "Kipp says...

>Does anyone know if datafiles implemented as raw devices can be unplugged
>from an NT platform (or Win2K) and then re-attached to a Sparc? This sounds
>crazy to me, but is nonetheless of interest as we're trying to plan the
>least expensive path that starts with a MS implementation and, approximately
>12 months from now, is transferred to Sparc.

transportable tablespaces must be done on a homogenous OS/hardware platform.

Intel to Sparc definitely won't work.

Exp/Imp or sqlplus copy command or even dump and sqlldr will be some of your choices.

Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com) Oracle Service Industries Howtos and such: http://asktom.oracle.com/ http://asktom.oracle.com/~tkyte/ Oracle Magazine: http://www.oracle.com/oramag Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corp Received on Wed May 30 2001 - 12:43:52 CDT