Re: Control files inconsistent

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 18:21:12 +1000

Theoretically, you can use the version numbers contained in the error messages to tell you which is the "correct" version of the control file, but I've had odd results with that, so this is the patented Rogers method of resolving the issue.

  1. Edit the initi.ora. Change control_files to point to a single controlfile (say, you control01 one).
  2. Try and start the database. If it succeeds, you know that file is the good one.
  3. If it doesn't succeed, we suspect it to be the bad one, but just to be sure...
  4. Shutdown immediate
  5. Edit the init.ora. Change the parameter to point to the other controlfile.
  6. Try and start the database.
  7. Now you know which is the good version, and which the bad, shutdown immediate and copy the good version over the bad.
  8. Edit the init.ora so it points to both files once more
  9. Startup.

It's possible both copies will fail to open the database, in which case you are into either (1) performing a 'recover database using backup controlfile' followed by a resetlogs or (2) running the 'create controlfile' script available to you from previously having run 'alter database backup controlfile to trace' (you *do* run that command regularly, I hope??!). And if neither of those options is viable, you can then (1) investigate manually typing in a version of the 'create controlfile' command (and pray) and (2) wonder why your backup and recovery strategy seems to be at sizes and sevens.

Regards
HJR

--
The views expressed are my own only, and definitely NOT those of Oracle