Re: Oracle Export 8.1.7 much slower than 7.3.2 on VMS

From: Malcolm Dunnett <nothome_at_spammers.are.scum>
Date: 30 May 2001 14:11:02 -0700

In article <VKbR6.9890$Sm6.680125_at_weber.videotron.net>,

   "Syltrem" <syltrem_at_videotron.ca.spammenot> writes:

> As for myself, I know that since 8.1.6, you can't access a dump file through
> Decnet anymore (using node"user pwd"::disk:[dir]file.dmp syntax).
> I was told they do not use RMS anymore to translate file names, but instead
> they use some internal code.

   That would be consistant - it appears they no longer use RMS to write the dump file.

> In essence, they tried to reivent the wheel but it's not round anymore.

    My guess is that their goal is to make the VMS port just another Unix port ( ie remove any VMS specific features which might have enhanced performance and just do it the same way they do on Unix ). That is good in the sense that it should make the VMS ports available sooner, but it's unfortunate when it leads to serious performance degradations.

    I suppose Oracles response might be that Compaq should fix the operating system. As has been mentioned in other contexts in comp.os.vms, there are applications that run much faster on Unix than on VMS purely because they do inefficient things in terms of disk writes and rely on Unix buffer caching to hid the performance penalties this would otherwise introduce. If VMS offered a similar "write it whenever you get around to it" model this wouldn't be an issue. I understand VMS 7.3 may address this to some degree, but I don't have a copy yet so I can't test that. Received on Wed May 30 2001 - 16:11:02 CDT