Oracle Export 8.1.7 much slower than 7.3.2 on VMS

From: Malcolm Dunnett <nothome_at_spammers.are.scum>
Date: 29 May 2001 10:35:47 -0700

  I've noticed a dramatic difference between the speed of Oracle Export on VMS in version 7.3.2 vs 8.1.7. The 8.1.7 export is a whole lot slower, exporting the same tables (from an 8.1.7 server) takes over twice as long using the 8.1.7 export as it does using the 7.3.2 export.

  The difference seems to be in the way the two versions write the export file. With 7.3.2 the file is created as a fixed record of 4096 bytes, but under 8.1.7 it's created as Stream/LF. It appears that the 7.3.2 export is buffering stuff internally to fill the fixed length records, but the 8.1.7 export is writing stuff much more often - incurring greater overhead.

  I suppose that on Unix, with it's "cache writes as long as you can" approach the increased overhead isn't so bad, but on VMS it's a real pain. You'd think that if the older version did it right there was no reason to break it in the new version. Is there any way to restore the old behaviour or this just a "creeping Unixism" we'll have to live with? Received on Tue May 29 2001 - 12:35:47 CDT