Re: Symbolic link pointing to Oracle Home

From: Vincent Ventrone <vav_at_brandeis.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 16:50:55 -0400

> > OEM or other Oracle tools? Having a symlink sure makes it easier when I
> > upgrade versions to new directories. I also like having symlinks
 pointing
> > to datafile locations, makes it easier to move them around if necessary.

(snip)

> IMO it has never been cool, and it is for the lazy only.
> It has resulted in problems at various sites I have been overseeing more
> than once, because people beliieved Oracle was installed two times, and

I wonder whether it would be OK if the ORACLE_HOME was on a network-attached storage device (like Network Appliance)? I have been considering doing so that we only need to install/upgrade/patch a single copy of each Oracle release which can then be shared to multiple machines (Solaris boxes in this case) that are "attached" to the net appliance. Each host would have a symbolic link to the appropriate file system on the net appliance... Received on Tue May 29 2001 - 15:50:55 CDT