Re: Oracle DB Tool

From: Daniel Morgan <danmorg_at_sc.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 18:40:28 GMT

Our company uses Rapid SQL, its better than using SQL Plus! http://www.embarcadero.com

I have evaluated Toad and PL/SQL Developer.

Toad is great for doing queries, but it does not provide its output as text - only as a grid. Also, it doesn't always show whether a query or DDL command was successful or not - its silent.

PL/SQL Developer beats Rapid SQL when it comes to debugging stored procedures - and its cheaper too.

Unfortunately, the tools like Toad and Rapid SQL are expensive. PL/SQL Developer is at a decent price though.

The company Quest who now owns Toad has de-emphasized it being a 'Tool for Oracle Application Developers'. Which is a shame since all the tools out there shouldn't be focused for DBAs!

However, if I have to run a huge script full of DDL and DML, such as a script for conversions, I will use SQL Talk. Unfortunately, SQL Talk is useless for anything but for use with Centura SQL Windows.

This link takes you to a lot of Oracle related stuff. http://www.orafaq.com/faq2.htm

"Ian Ledzion" <ian.ledzion_at_lgxbow.com> wrote in message news:9etgs8$2u9$1_at_rex.ip-plus.net...
> Just like you, we're on 3.2d11! Tried 4.0 and it doubled the number of
> clicks / actions to get 1 thing done. I reckon the're trying to merge it
> with TOAD, and have got lost on the way. We evaluated TOAD, and discarded
> it on the basis that it's too heavy for what we need to do: queries,
> packages and general DB maintenance.
>
> "Dave Fowler" <d.fowler_at_smmj.com> wrote in message
> > Mark,
> > I have used SQL Navigator for 3 years daily. Been through the good and
> > bad. It's written in delphi by Aussies.
> > V3.2 Has memory problems with lots of windows (>10) open on Win98
 thought
> > could be/probably is a windows issues. Works fine on Win2K
> > They seem to be slow to integrate new things and fixes. When first
 released
> > in '96 the patches were once a month.
> >
> > I'm not much on the new tab interface in 4.0 still running 3.2d11
 version.
> > One reason is they have removed the column list when generating from
 table
> > or view now using select * from table_name.
> > It did have alot of new features for development.
> > For the money ($1K/seat with debugger) it was the best out there. TOAD
 may
> > work equally well I havent look at it in a while.
> > Wonder about the product direction with it? keeping both?
> >
> > hth
> > Dave Fowler
> > Oracle DBA/Developer
> >
> > "Mark Wallace" <mwallace*NOSPAM*@*NOSPAM*carr-sheppards.co.uk> wrote in
> > message news:dV3P6.457$3S3.9954_at_news.lhr.globix.net...
> > > We are looking into buying a general purpose DB tool.
> > > We are so far looking at either :
> > > Toad or SQL Navigator
> > >
> > > Has anyone got any thoughts (Pro's or Con's) with regards to these
 products
> > > or
> > > a suggestion of other tools we should be looking at.
> > >
> > > We are finding the oracle tools quite cumbersome to use because of the
 Java