Re: Oracle DB Tool

From: Ian Ledzion <ian.ledzion_at_lgxbow.com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 14:39:02 +0200

Just like you, we're on 3.2d11! Tried 4.0 and it doubled the number of clicks / actions to get 1 thing done. I reckon the're trying to merge it with TOAD, and have got lost on the way. We evaluated TOAD, and discarded it on the basis that it's too heavy for what we need to do: queries, packages and general DB maintenance.

"Dave Fowler" <d.fowler_at_smmj.com> wrote in message news:V%9P6.28947$BN6.1459331_at_newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net...
> Mark,
> I have used SQL Navigator for 3 years daily. Been through the good and
> bad. It's written in delphi by Aussies.
> V3.2 Has memory problems with lots of windows (>10) open on Win98 thought
> could be/probably is a windows issues. Works fine on Win2K
> They seem to be slow to integrate new things and fixes. When first
 released
> in '96 the patches were once a month.
>
> I'm not much on the new tab interface in 4.0 still running 3.2d11 version.
> One reason is they have removed the column list when generating from table
> or view now using select * from table_name.
> It did have alot of new features for development.
> For the money ($1K/seat with debugger) it was the best out there. TOAD may
> work equally well I havent look at it in a while.
> Wonder about the product direction with it? keeping both?
>
> hth
> Dave Fowler
> Oracle DBA/Developer
>
> "Mark Wallace" <mwallace*NOSPAM*@*NOSPAM*carr-sheppards.co.uk> wrote in
> message news:dV3P6.457$3S3.9954_at_news.lhr.globix.net...
> > We are looking into buying a general purpose DB tool.
> > We are so far looking at either :
> > Toad or SQL Navigator
> >
> > Has anyone got any thoughts (Pro's or Con's) with regards to these
 products
> > or
> > a suggestion of other tools we should be looking at.
> >
> > We are finding the oracle tools quite cumbersome to use because of the
 Java