Oracle 8i for Linux Starter=Frustration. Help!

From: Jerold Von Hemel <jerold>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 18:12:54 -0600

Hello,

Need an Oracle God to help me with 8i for linux!

I am would like to learn about oracle database software. Just purchased the Starter Kit that includes 8.1.6 Enterprise Edition. Now I have done some research on the install for this and found out that it is very difficult. I tried to cookbook together the install from various posts/oracle web site/etc. I was successful in getting it to install, but could not get the stubs patch to install.

I now have a fresh install of Mandrake 8.0. No changes have been made to glibc.

First question is where to get the correct glibc rpm to keep the installer from crashing, and from causing other problems to my system. MandrakeUpdate was smoking crack and fetching a different file for glibc 2.2.2-5, then it said that it would conflict with gcc or something like that. I want to make sure I am getting the appropriate  files.

Second, on page 19 of the book, I do ok until it comes to setting the environment variables. Am I supposed to login as my Oracle user, an type '$HOME/.bash_profile' to set these variables? This relates to the problem with the stubs patch saying that ORACLE_HOME was not in the environment.

Third, I am using this link to get to the stubs file.

http://download.oracle.com/otn/linux/oracle8i/glibc-2.1.3-stubs.tar.gz

My plan is this.

  1. Update the appropriate glibc rpm to allow the installer to run.
  2. Install Oracle based on the books instruction verbatim.
  3. Do not install the educational database. First install the stubs as above.

Questions.

Will a custom install allow me to keep the installer from attempting the database?

Once the stubs are installed, where is dbassist located to install the database after the fact?

Please Please help me with this situation. I would really like to learn databases, Oracle in particular. If this does not work, I doubt that I can return the book, considering the cd is open.

Thanks in advance for any kind assistance.

Jerold Von Hemel
jerold at vonhemel dot com