Re: Oracle8i on Linux

From: Giorgos Tsiamitas <gtsiam_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 14:14:17 GMT

"Nick Taylor" <ntwysiwyg_at_dataskill.co.uk> wrote in message news:3B123FCB.693A1A4A_at_dataskill.co.uk...
> Giorgos Tsiamitas wrote:
> >
> > The GUI tools are there however, located in $ORACLE_HOME/bin. You can
 start
> > them from an xterm. For example type:
> > oemapp worksheet
> > oemapp instance
> > netasst
> > dbassist
> I rushed log into my Oracle box running 8.1.6 but can't find any oemapp
> there :-(

You should be able to find oemapp if you have installed full Oracle8iEE on Linux/Solaris. Check your installation log or run Oracle Installer to see what is installed.

> Any ideas where I can find it? Also what does it do?

oemapp invokes Enterprise Manager applications, e.g. worksheet, security/schema/instance manager, etc.

> > The real power and flexibility comes from the command-line though!
> >
> But sometimes a graphical tool can save needing to remember all that SQL
> syntax.
>
> Personally I found databrowser (a Java graphical tool) useful. Also I
> see that there is a whole book dedicated to open source tools to help
> working with Oracle (O'Reilly as I recall)

I agree with you, GUIs save a lot of work and effort. Computers are popular today because of the GUIs. But when you need to perform some complex task fast and have the full control of it, then it's better to turn to the command-line. The obvious advantage you get is the shell and the utilities. The side-effect is that you master the system - with GUIs you will not get far.
So, depending on your needs/taste/experience/ambition, choose the interface. After all, the important thing is to get the work done.

> Nick
> --
> Nick Taylor
> Say No to Spammers - What You See Isn't What You Get to Email Me

Regards,
Giorgos. Received on Mon May 28 2001 - 09:14:17 CDT