Re: Setting pctincrease 0 at the tablespace level

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 22:17:20 -0700

Yong Huang wrote:

> Dino Hsu <dino1_at_ms1.hinet.net> wrote in message
> > 2.Do you think pctincrease=1 is good?
> >
> > Source:
> > p.129, Kevin Loney, Oracle 8i DBA Handbook,
> > Ch4. Physical Database Layout->
> > Database Space Usage Overview->
> > Implications of the storage Clause
>
> This is indeed a FAQ. Suppose we had a poll among all DBAs in the
> world now, I bet most DBAs use PCTINCREASE 0. Best practice has come
> out of thousands of people's experience. Setting PCTINCREASE to 1 has
> been proved to have a little more disadvantage over what's gained.
>
> Yong Huang
> yong321_at_yahoo.com

I used to use PCTINCREASE at the tablespace level at 1% and for all tables and indexes at 0% and never had a single problem. It did exactly as advertised ... coalesced extents without having to worry about it. Later when I turned off SMON and used a JOB I didn't see any reason to change this practice.

With locally managed tablespaces ... PCTINCREASE is obsolete and irrelevant. So best practice is to forget it ever existed except when working on legacy systems.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Mon May 28 2001 - 00:17:20 CDT