Re: DBWR_IO_SLAVES and Asynchronous I/O

From: fumi <fumi_at_tpts5.seed.net.tw>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 21:51:15 +0800

"Dino Hsu" <dino1_at_ms1.hinet.net> ????? news:d4jvgtch2rslse2tmd01752id3tk5eelc9_at_4ax.com...
> Dear all,
>
> In a book, it says: (See note for source)
> "...As of 8.1, ORACLE uses the DBWR_IO_SLAVES setting to determine how
> many LGWR and ARCH I/O slaves to start; setting DBWR_IO_SLAVES to a
> value greater than 0 sets the corresponding LGWR_IO_SLAVES and
> ARCH_IO_SLAVES settings each to 4. If the option is not available on
> your system, then you may be able to use asynchronous I/O to reduce
> internal DBWR contention. With asynchronous I/O, only one DBWR process
> is started since the I/O processing is performed asynchronously."

> Note: source information:
> p.102, Kevin Leney, Oracle 8i DBA Handbook
> Ch4. Physical Database Layouts->
> Concurrent I/O Among Background Processes

Not answer to your questions, just some comments.

The parameter DBWR_IO_SLAVES and LGWR_IO_SLAVES are introduced since Oracle 8.0.3, and obsoleted since Oracle 8.1.3. They should not appear in a book talking about Oracle8i.

The authors always change the word "7" to "8", and again "8" to "8i" in the book title without upgrade or check the contents.
What you read in the book are NOT really practicable for Oracle8i, just for Oracle7.x or 8.0. Received on Mon May 28 2001 - 08:51:15 CDT