Re: log file format

From: John <j_barbe_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 28 May 2001 06:41:06 -0700

> Unfortunately, the reason Log miner displays
> sql_redo columns like that is that the redo
> log contains exactly that information -

OK
so chained rows are not logged?

> Oracle appears to update the row in situ -
> making it invalid for the partition, then
> deletes the row from the current partition
> and inserts it into the correct partition as
> a completely separate set of redo records.
> You would be hard pushed to demonstrate
> that the three operations were a single partitioned
> row update.

I believe it is possible using the SCN cause they will have the same. But it's hard and time-consuming.
Moreover logminer display information for partition and not table which could be problematic too.

> You may already be aware of this, but if you
> want to play about with looking at the redo
> log stream in a 'semi-formatted' way, you
> can issue the command -
> alter system dump logfile '{fully qualified log file name}';

No I hadn't tried this yet.
But the result is weird to me.
What does it do exactly?

is this file explained in the oracle documentation?

> The file is dumped to a trace file. The log file
> can be any log file that your database can understand,
> including the current online logfile.
>
> For experimental purposes, I tend to
> alter system switch logfile;
> do a little SQL
> alter system dump logfile
> so that the dump is small.

I've read somewhere that it is possible to unable the logging in the active log file. Is it true? Received on Mon May 28 2001 - 08:41:06 CDT