Re: Oracle8i 8.1.7.0.0 : difference between the Oracle Entreprise Edition and the Oracle Standard Edition ?

From: Reefer Madness <reefer_at_nospam.com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 02:15:38 GMT

Oracle Standard Edition is just Oracle Enterprise Edition with some of the newer features turned off. There are more than what's listed below but I can't remember them all. Oracle's own people won't recommend that you buy EE unless you are running a data warehouse, have a very high number of concurrent users, or havev high availability requirements.

One caveat, though. Oracle won't license SE on a machine that is capable of more than 4 processors (and what decent machine isn't these days?). It doesn't matter how many processors are on the box, it's how many the box is capable of. I haven't been able to find this tidbit on any of the Oracle web sites or sales material - it just showed up during the licensing discussions.