Re: 8.1.7 install problems on Sun Blade 100/Solaris 8 01/01 MU4

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 21:25:06 +1000

Out of left field, and I'm sure you Unix types wouldn't have allowed this to happen, but I regularly generate 'end of file on communication channel' errors on training courses by setting the permissions on the relevant files incorrectly, so that the Oracle processes don't have rights to use them. I of course fix this with a quick chmod 777 on the files in question, but Unix users usually laugh at this point, so I guess there is a more intelligent choice!!

Since you get nothing after specifying the pfile, I'd check the ownership and privileges on that. I'd also have a look at all your data files, redo logs and controlfiles whilst you're at it.

The trouble is, of course, that ORA-3113 covers a host of sins, and there's no telling that this is (or isn't) one of them until you've checked.

Regards
HJR

--
The views expressed are my own only, and definitely NOT those of Oracle