Re: BLOBS in the database

From: I hate Spam <tbf_at_cn.stam.dk>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 12:06:57 +0200

On Tue, 22 May 2001 23:33:43 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:

>My only question now is why, if Ammara knows how not to be stupid, do the
>standard (free!) front-end tools not do likewise?! Clearly, it can't be
>rocket science. Would love to hear from a Forms developer as to whether
>Oracle is any less dumb.

Ok - I have made a small test with Forms 6.0 (windows 2000) In forms you can select different image formats (BMP,CALS,GIF,JFIF,PICT,RAS,TIFF and TPIC, unfortunately not jpeg), and compression qualities.
I opened a photographic picture in jpeg format (109KB, compression factor 66%) in Paintshop Pro, and with cut and paste transferred it to a forms applications blob field. With TIFF,PICT and GIF the size in the table became
405 KB, 766KB and 495 KB, and the picture quality wasn't very good. With the JFIF the size was only 102 KB and with a good quality.

It seems you have to experiment a bit to find a suitable setting, but that Forms developer isn't brain dead (on this issue at least).

From a user perspective I think the cut and paste function is quite intuitive.

Yours Hans Erik Busk
tbf_at_cn.stam.dk Received on Sun May 27 2001 - 05:06:57 CDT