Re: Oracle 8.1.7/Solaris 8 severe performance problems

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 23:25:24 -0700

Mick Sheppard wrote:

> We are evaluating moving from Oracle 8.0.6 running on Solaris 2.6 to
> Oracle 8.1.7 running on Solaris 8.
>
> We have 8.0.6 installed on a Sun E450 with 2 x 400 Mhz CPUs and 8.1.7
> installed on an E220R with 2 x 450 Mhz CPUs. Both systems have 2 GB of
> memory.
>
> The initDB.ora files on both systems are identical. The database
> contents are the same apart from the changes necessary for 8.1.7.
>
> Performance on the 8.1.7 box is so poor as to be unusable. Automated
> jobs that run in under a minute on the 8.0.6 system seem to never
> finish on the 8.1.7 box. Also in general performance is so slow as to
> be unusable.
>
> Is what we are trying to do sensible? Has anyone had any problems
> moving from 8 to 8i, or Solaris 2.6 to Solaris 8? Any pointers would
> help.
>
> TIA
>
> Mick Sheppard
>
> Senior System Administrator
> flutter.com

The differences you are seeing have nothing to do with Solaris or Oracle. I just a few weeks ago finished installing Oracle on an e450 with Solaris 2.8 and it positively screamed. I'd go back to basics and look at the disk drives, how the tablespaces are mapped, the values in /etc/system, etc.

It may appear that everything is the same ... but it is likely not.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sat May 26 2001 - 01:25:24 CDT