Re: 8.1.7 install problems on Sun Blade 100/Solaris 8 01/01 MU4

From: G.T. <ethant_at_pacificnet.net>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 11:52:20 -0700

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> > Yes, I've checked the above, I've rebooted, and my environment has
> > ORACLE_SID, etc.
> >
> > Here is what happens when I run svrmgr:
> >
> > SVRMGR> connect internal
> > Connected.
> > SVRMGR> startup pfile =
> > "/export/home0/u01/app/oracle/admin/records/pfile/initrecords.ora"
> > ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
> >
> > I found one item on the web regarding Solaris 8 and Oracle 8.1.6 where
> > they advise to add a bunch of patches from Oracle but I assume those
> > patches were already rolled into 8.1.7.
> >

> Usually the SID is limited to 4 characters.

I'm only familiar with 7.3 and up and all our SIDs are 6 or 7 characters.

> You also should verify you alert log in the directory pointe d to by the
> background_dump_dest parameter.
> In a typical install this is the
> /export/home0/u01/app/oracle/admin/records/bdump

That directory exists but there is no alert log there.

> One of the causes for 3113 is incorrect init.ora parameter, which results in
> memory problems, which results in the instance not starting.

I've got 384MB RAM and looking through my init.ora everything is set to a small implementation. Anything in particular I should look for?

TIA, Greg

--
See http://www.2fortheroad.net for ugly bikes and stale music.
"Why does a man with nothing to say, he always seems to talk?" - Marc