Re: 8.1.7 install problems on Sun Blade 100/Solaris 8 01/01 MU4

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 19:43:48 +0200

"G.T." <ethant_at_pacificnet.net> wrote in message news:3B0FDF82.B405FF70_at_pacificnet.net...

> "Daniel A. Morgan" wrote:

> > "G.T." wrote:
> >
> > > I have run through the installation twice following the Oracle 8i
> > > Installation Guide to the letter. I have searched the web and the
> > > Google Usenet archives endlessly and double-checked all suggestions
> > > related to "ORA-27101 shared memory realm does not exist", "ORA-01034:
> > > ORACLE not available", "ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication
> > > channel", and "ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE" errors.
> > >
> > > The install is flawless up until I need to create a database and then
> > > receive the above errors.
> > >
> > > The listener is up, I've set all my shared memory, semaphore settings,
> > > etc., and I cannot figure out why I cannot create a database.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions on troubleshooting?
> > >
> > > Thanks, Greg
> > > --
> > > See http://www.2fortheroad.net for ugly bikes and stale music.
> > > "Why does a man with nothing to say, he always seems to talk?" - Marc
> > > Riley
> >
> > Looks to me like you have not put oracle_sid, oracle_base, oracle_home,
 and
> > other required parameters into the .profile file.
> >
> > Shared memory is created by entries in the /etc/system file on Solaris
 and
> > I presume you have something similar. After making these entries, even
> > though the documentation doesn't say so, you must reboot the machine.
> >

> Yes, I've checked the above, I've rebooted, and my environment has
> ORACLE_SID, etc.
>
> Here is what happens when I run svrmgr:
>
> SVRMGR> connect internal
> Connected.
> SVRMGR> startup pfile =
> "/export/home0/u01/app/oracle/admin/records/pfile/initrecords.ora"
> ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
>
> I found one item on the web regarding Solaris 8 and Oracle 8.1.6 where
> they advise to add a bunch of patches from Oracle but I assume those
> patches were already rolled into 8.1.7.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Greg Thomas
>
> --
> See http://www.2fortheroad.net for ugly bikes and stale music.
> "Why does a man with nothing to say, he always seems to talk?" - Marc
> Riley

Usually the SID is limited to 4 characters. Please vertify in your documentation this still holds or doesn't hold true. You also should verify you alert log in the directory pointe d to by the background_dump_dest parameter.
In a typical install this is the
/export/home0/u01/app/oracle/admin/records/bdump

One of the causes for 3113 is incorrect init.ora parameter, which results in memory problems, which results in the instance not starting.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sat May 26 2001 - 12:43:48 CDT