Re: Does Oracle8i have a job scheduler?

From: John Russell <johnrussell10_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 08:53:15 GMT

On Fri, 25 May 2001 13:31:24 GMT, "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-family_at_home.com> wrote:

>I think part of the problem is that the SQL Server Docs are very difficult
>to use. By that I mean it is very difficult to find certain things. The
>documentation is via a GUI interface and is written in a sort of "sound
>bite" method. I had a heck of a time finding information on certain things
>when I was forced to use Sql Server.

Absolutely.

>The Oracle docs on the other hand are
>very complete. I usually pull up my browser and start witht he index of all
>the subjects and go from there. Have a question on SQL syntax? I click on
>the Oracle and pl/sql reference which brings me to a list of topcs one of
>which is titled SQL Reference (gee what a good name). I click on that and
>get taken to the whole SQL Reference book. Then I can choose what I want
>(e.g. grants or alter database).

Well, even that turns out to be problematic for a lot of people. An alternative way is to visit:

http://tahiti.oracle.com/pls/tahiti/tahiti.sql_keywords

from whence you can find any SQL statement, PL/SQL statement, SQL function, PL/SQL function, PL/SQL package, SQL*Plus command, etc. etc. without having to worry about whether it is SQL or PL/SQL, or which chapter contains the statements and which contains the functions. Also if the statement/function/etc. is used in various examples, it can ferret them out regardless of location.

John

--
Got an Oracle database question?
Try the search engine for the database docs at: