Re: log question

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 11:33:47 +0200

"San LUC" <sluc_at_webmail.alten.fr> wrote in message news:9el7t8$ka8$1_at_reader1.fr.uu.net...
> Hi,
>
> I would like to insert, delete or update rows in a table and the these
> queries won't be written in log file ?
> Does anyone know how I can do ?
>
> San LUC
> sluc_at_webmail.alten.fr

This question keeps popping up over and over again. In short: no you can't do this, the redo log mechanism is vital to any Oracle database.
There are some special operations (create table as select, create index with nologging) which can be executed wthout logging but those are the only ones. This quite natural as the DBWR algorithm is dependent on the redolog mechanism already have written the changed bytes to the redolog files. Exactly this mechanism allows Oracle to 'piggy back' transactions and to delay writing to the database files.
If you think your redolog files are the limiting factor, look into reconfiguring your online redolog files. If you think you can really do without redolog files (which is just a Career Limiting Move), set the hidden init.ora parameter _nologging to true. Of course, if anything does go wrong, you can't recover your database and you are on your own.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Fri May 25 2001 - 04:33:47 CDT