Re: DB_BLOCK_SIZE set to the highest value

From: Mike Jay <mikejay_at_mitre.org>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 09:35:50 -0400

Do we set DB_BLOCK_SIZE to the highest value or to the OS block size?

According to CH20 of Oracle8i Designing and Tuning for Performance (A76992-01) and CH1 of Oracle8i Reference (A76961-01), the DB_BLOCK_SIZE is operating system and device dependent.

Using the "df -g" command (no quotes) on the local system to check for the optimal value, my system has 8192 block size so that's what I use for the DB_BLOCK_SIZE in my initTHESID.ora pfile.

Did I miss the point? What about the SGA and the DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS as the means to ensure adequate memory?

I am a developer rather than a "real DBA" so I have to rely on the manuals to make the tradeoffs as opposed to "real world" experience.

Have a great day,
mikejay