Upgrade to 8.1.7 on NT -- Question

From: CompGuy <CG_at_His.PC>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 23:09:29 -0400

Hi,

I have an 8.0.5 instance running on Windows NT, and I want to upgrade to 8.1.7. I just took this database over and don't like a lot of things about it, such as the file layouts, etc. I want to upgrade using imp/exp versus using the upgrade script.

However, I don't want to completely remove the old installation until the new one is up and the users have verified their applications. I want to install 8.1.7, build the new database (under a different name), and import the 8.0.5 export file. Easy enough.

I want all this to basically be transparent to the users -- in other words, I don't want them to have to change their TNSNAMES setups to point to the new SID. Is there a way to "alias" the new database so it answers to connect requests directed to the old database?

eg. client PC is setup to connect to database old_db, I install 8.1.7 and create new db called new_db. I shut down old_db and start up new_db but I don't want the users to have to update their TNSNAMES. I want them to continue connecting to what they think is old_db but is actually new_db on the NT server.

Is this even possible? Is this something SERVICE_NAME can help with?

Thanks. Received on Thu May 24 2001 - 22:09:29 CDT