Re: db_block_size

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 11:13:42 GMT

On Wed, 23 May 2001 11:53:40 +0100, "Mark Wallace" <mwallace*NOSPAM*@*NOSPAM*carr-sheppards.co.uk> wrote:

>How do I determine what the operating system block size, so that I can
>determine an optimal db_block_size for my database.
>Running Winnt 4.0, or

Check the sector size your disk partitions where created with. That's the I/O "block size" used by NT.

How to check? Go to Start->Programs->Administrative Tools->Disk Administrator, select the disk you want, select the partition, r-click and select format and read the suggested "Allocation unit size". That's the size used when that partition was created. DO NOT(!) click "Start", just "Close" out of all that!

>Dynix ptx

Sorry, don't remember. Read the man pages for "mkfs" or similar commands, it's written there somewhere.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Wed May 23 2001 - 06:13:42 CDT