Re: to MTS or not to MTS

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 22:39:24 +0800

David Boucher wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have an 8.1.6 db running on Solaris 2.7. We have
> approx 250 concurrent users using dedicated server
> processes and everything is fine. The Business has
> deemed it necessary to increase the number of current
> users up to around 1100. This obviously presents us
> DBA's with many interesting questions. One being, is
> there any real need to move to MTS?. We have tried
> this before we went live and we ran into the problem
> where it would randomly hang connections for a minute,
> and discovered this was an oracle bug. I forget the
> number.
>
> Getting extra Ram/CPU put in the box will not be a
> problem and this will obviously need to happen. Is it
> strictly necessary to go to MTS? I would be very happy
> if we could stick with what works reliably, plus I
> have read that MTS does respond as quick as dedicated.
> Does anybody have any advice on this one?
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Dave

> --
> Posted from web14407.mail.yahoo.com [216.136.174.77]
> via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

I would recommend only using MTS once other avenues have failed. Many a system I've in the past generally ran better with a third-party TP using dedicated connections to the database than MTS.

hth
connor

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"