Re: Slow connect time

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 19:04:14 +0200

"Mark Fraser" <mark101doesntlikespam_at_telocity.com> wrote in message news:1%JO6.4074$ce.4869134_at_newsrump.sjc.telocity.net...
> Hello,
>
> I am running Oracle 8i Enterprise Edition and have suddently
> started experiencing slow connect times. The slowness occurs
> in both SQLPLUS and when connecting via JDBC. It occurs
> when connecting from the same machine on which the server
> resides.
>
> TNSping returns in 20 ms.
>
> When I run SQLPLUS, I immediately get a login prompt, but it takes
> about fifteen seconds to connect after entering login info. The
> same slowness occurs when I login via SQLPLUS username/password.
> I have tried with tracing both on and off. And I tried renaming
> the .dat files in .\otrace\admin which are about 1M.
>
> System:
>
> Win 2K
> 256 MB RAM
> Duron 750
>
> I don't see any other logs that have grown unreasonably.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Check listener.log in %ORACLE_HOME%\network\log. It logs *every* connection (attempt)
As you are using jdbc you will have many of them... Just looking at a 175M listener.log file today. OK, I agree it hasn't been reset in a year.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Wed May 23 2001 - 12:04:14 CDT