Re: Charge back disfunctionality

From: Joe Maloney <mpir_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: 23 May 2001 08:44:30 -0700

Actually, this is old practice. I have worked in, and seen, shops where users are charged back for cpu cycles, kb stored, percentage of cpu when processes running and on. The bean counters loved it.

Agreed, not everyone does it. And it can cause problems in innovation, upgrades, etc. (how to divy up the costs, etc),

But there are those that say unless you are set up to do it, whether or not you actually do the chargebacking (?), you cannot reasonably evaulate your operating costs and whether new (fill in the blank) are really worth the effort or money.