Re: database recovery HELP

From: Steve <schen_at_prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 13:52:03 -0400

I would like to thank all who help. Also I would to update you what it is:

1st recovery failed to get all rows deleted back, with count of that table only up as of today.

I was using timing option, with a couple of attempts to get earlier hours still not working.

2nd recovery I simply put all database files back to places. Now I am back to square one.

Steve
"Michael Austin" <miaustin_at_bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:3B0B0017.99809413_at_bellsouth.net...
> [...]
> > and apply redo. Unfortunately, those datafiles and archives are from an
> > incarnation *prior* to the current one, and you'll get an error to that
> > effect the second you try it.
> >
> > However, no one in their right mind performs an incomplete recovery
 without
> > first copying the control files and the online redo logs out to
 somewhere
> > safe (what I'll call your 'emergency backup'), and you did all of that,
> > right? A slap on the wrist if not, and a re-iteration of the "no"
 answer to
> > boot. But if you *did* take your emergency backup, then you're in
 business.
> > You replace the current controlfile and redo logs with the emergency
 backup
> > versions, and your datafiles from your proper backup, and your database
 is
> > now exactly as it was at the moment you performed the original recovery.
> >
> > But without the backups of the controlfile and online redo logs taken
 just
> > before your first recovery, you won't be able to do that.
> >
> > There is a workaround for the seriously brave: it's called 'recovery
 through
> > resetlogs', and you'll want to read up on it carefully before embarking
 on
> > it. You can only even attempt it if ALL the following conditions are
 true:

> > 1. This is Version 7.3.3 or later
> > 2. There is no 'emergency backup' just prior to the original resetlogs
> > 3. There is still the 'proper backup' before the resetlogs
> > 4. That 'proper backup' includes a binary version of the Control File
> > 5. All archives since the time of the 'proper backup' exist, right up
 until
> > the present moment
> > 6. You've kept a copy of the Alert Log containing the moment of issuing
 the
> > original resetlogs.
> >
> > If all of that applies to you, then the basic procedure is (hold on to
 your
> > hats):
> >
> > 1. Take a complete closed backup of the database somewhere safe (I'll
 call
> > this the Third Backup!)
> > 2. Restore all datafiles and the binary controlfile from your 'Proper
> > Backup' (NOT the online redo logs)
> > 3. Mount the database
> > 4. In the alert log, find the SCN at which the original resetlogs was
> > issued (it will say something like 'Incomplete recovery done until
 change
> > 578393')
> > 5. Recover the database until that change number ('recover database
 until
> > change 578393 using backup controlfile')
> > 6. DO NOT OPEN THE DATABASE at this point
> > 7. Instead, shut it down using the normal option
> > 8. Retrieve the binary version of your controlfile from the Third
 Backup
> > taken at step 1 above, and replace the existing controlfiles with it
> > 9. Mount the database
> > 10.Recover the database using whatever is the command you fancy (ie
 'recover
> > database' or 'recover database until....')
> > 11. Open the database using the appropriate command (ie, resetlogs or
 not)
> > 12. Check everything is OK.
> > 13. Take a new backup of the entire closed database if everything is
 OK.

> > I don't recommend it, I've only demo'd it half a dozen times, and it's
 gone
> > spectacularly wrong on 1 of those occasions. And I'm not even sure if
 it's
> > appropriate to your situation.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
> > --
> > =============================!!=============================
> > The views expressed are my own only, and definitely NOT those of Oracle
> > Corporation
> >
> > "Steve" <schen_at_prodigy.net> wrote in message
> > > Need urgent assistance on database recovery (Oracle 7.3):
> > >
> > > Thousands of rows were deleted accidentally last Friday. I have
 online
> > > archivelog in place. I can "recover database until
 '2001-05-18:12:30:00',
> > > then alter database open resetlog. Then I export that recovered
 table
 for